The Tudor Grange Academy Worcester new build project has been assessed under the 2008 version of BREEAM for Education and has achieved a Very Good rating.
A number of innovative energy saving features have been included within the design, some examples of these are listed below:
- Fresh air supply to classrooms is via natural ventilation from louvers in the external façade
- Lighting controls are on movement sensors and automatically switch off is an area is unoccupied
- All light fittings next to windows have daylight dimming enabling them to be dimmed or switched off if the requisite lighting levels have been achieved by natural daylight
- Low volume WC cisterns and aerated taps to reduce water consumption
- All materials used on site during the construction stage were sustainably sourced and the main contractor has BS14001 accreditation
- An ecologist was employed during the works and was consulted during key phases to ensure that the construction works did not have any significant impact on wildlife, trees and plants